Posters should be a maximum of 36" w X 42" h (3' w x 31/2' h) OR 42" w x 36" h
Materials Required for Hanging
Presenters should supply their own hanging materials. Depending on the hanging surface, these could include thumbtacks, double-sided tape, masking tape; velcro tape, etc.
Tips for Creating a Poster
An effective poster operates on multiple levels:
- source of information
- conversation starter
- advertisement of your work
- summary of your work
Many ineffective posters suffer from easy-to-fix problems, including:
- objective(s) and main point(s) hard to find
- text too small
- poor graphics
- poor organization
Your poster should:
- use a visual grammar to guide readers to the important parts of your poster.
- use a column format to make your poster easier to read in a crowd.
- use organization cues to guide readers through your poster.
- use "reader gravity" which pulls the eye from top to bottom and left to right (Wheildon 1995).
- use headings intelligently to help readers find your main points and key information.
- balance the placement of text and graphics to create visual appeal.
- use white space creatively to help define the flow of information.
- Lets graphs and images tell the story;
- Good graphics - graphs, illustrations, photos - are the centerpiece of your poster.
- Write explanations directly on figures, instead of referencing from elsewhere.
- Use text sparingly.
- Text should be simple, direct and of a large font size.
- Text should be readable from a distance.
- Use phrases rather than full sentences.
- Microsoft Powerpoint is an easy to use tool for creating posters (template available for download below).
- Graphics may be created in Microsoft Excel and exported to Powerpoint.
- Adobe Illustrator and In Design, Adobe Photoshop are good for creating high quality graphics.
DOWNLOAD POSTER TEMPLATE
Download a fully customisable Research Poster Template in powerpoint (.pptx) format for a 36"x42" poster. Add graphics, change the fonts, colour scheme, layout etc. Instructions included on the template. (Source: posterpresentations.com).
OTHER USEFUL READING
Joyce Pereira (University of Aruba) has a Master's in Dutch Language and Literature. She had taught Dutch and Papiamento didactics at the Instituto Pedagogico Arubano.. Read More»
Heredia, Heredia Province (Aug 5-8 and 11-12)
One of Costa Rica's most historical cities, founded in 1705 and nicknamed "City of Flowers". Located in central Costa Rica amidst vast coffee plantations and lush greenery. Learn more»
Limón (Aug 8-11)
Stretching along the Caribbean Coast, Limón is considered to be one of the most pristine and lush regions of Costa Rica. Learn more»
- Tuesday Conference Dinner (Heredia)
- Friday Lunch (Limón)
- Limón Cultural Activity (tba)
- Conference T-Shirt (preorder with registration)
Arriving in Costa Rica:
Click here to learn about airport transfers, currency,
mobile devices, getting around, shopping etc.